How Much Does FSSAI License Cost in India? How to get One?
So, you are going to start a food-related business or have already started one. You are worried about FSSAI License or just curious to know more about it.
In this article, I’m going to explain what exactly is the FSSAI license? How much does FSSAI License Cost ? and How to get an FSSAI License?Application fee of a Basic FSSAI License is Rs.100, a State FSSAI License is Rs.2000-Rs.5000 depending on the type of business and a Central FSSAI License is Rs.7500.
What is FSSAI License?
It is a certificate issued by local/state/central government essentially declaring that the food products available in the particular store are safe to consume. It simply is a food safety certificate issued by food authority of India
Having FSSAI license for stores with produced food is essential in India. A store not having this license is considered illegal may face severe action ranging from fine to completely shutting down the store.
Types of FSSAI License?
There are 3 types of FSSAI Licenses. They are Basic, State, and Central FSSAI Licenses. More information about each of them is given below.
a) Basic FSSAI License
This license is issued by local authority i.e., municipal office or panchayat office of the area. It costs Rs.100 per year to apply/ renew.
Who Needs Basic FSSAI License?
- Diary shops and units which can either produce or handle dairy products up to 500 Litres per day or 2.5 Metric Tons of milk solids per annum.
- Vegetable oil refineries, producing units, processing units, and expelled units with a turnover of up to 12lakhs per annum.
- Slaughtering houses like chicken, mutton, beef, etc stores with a capacity of either 2 large animals or up to 10 small animals or up to 50 poultry birds per day.
- All meat-processing units with a turnover of up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- All food processing units including units which just packs and label products whose turnover is below 12 lakh per annum and whose production capacity is below 100kg per day.
- Wholesalers, retailers, suppliers, and distributors with turnover up to 12Lakhs per annum.
- Dhabas, canteens, dabbawalas, boarding house based canteens, home-based canteens, permanent/ temporary food stalls, food courts, Banquet halls whose turnover is less than 12 lakh per annum.
- Fish, Meat, poultry shop/seller, or any food vending establishment with an annual turnover of less than 12 lakh.
- Clubs, canteens, hotels, restaurants, transporters, and marketers with a turnover of up to 12 lakh per annum.
- All Food hawkers, mobile-food vendors, petty sellers of snacks, or tea.
How To Apply for Basic FSSAI License
To apply for a Basic FSSAI LIcense, you need an identification card like Aadhaar Card, Ration Card, Driving License, Passport, or Election ID. Then download and fill “Form A“. This form is required during the application process.
b) State FSSAI License
This license is issued by respective state governments and price varies from Rs.2000- Rs.5000 based on the type of business you own.
Manufacturers with a capacity above 1Metric Ton per day , milk processing units with above 10,001 to 50,000 liters per day processing or 501 to 2500 Metric Ton of milk solids per year will have to pay Rs.5000 per year.
Manufacturers with a capacity below 1Metric Ton per day , milk processing units with 501 to 10,000 liters per day processing or 2.5 to 500 Metric Ton of milk solids per year will have to pay Rs.2000 per year.
All hotels upto 4 stars should pay Rs.5000 per year.
All food service providers including boarding houses, clubs, etc which are serving food, or caterers, canteens(inside schools, colleges, offices), banquet hall with food arrangements, food vendors like dabbawalas and other food business operators with more than Rs.12 lakh per annum turnover will have to pay only Rs.2000.
Who Needs State FSSAI License
- All kinds of dairy units with 501 to 50,000 Litres per day or more than 2.5 Metric tons to 2500 Metric tons of milk solids capacity per year.
- Vegetable oil processing units up to 2 metric tons per day and more than 12 lakh turnover per annum.
- All slaughtering units with a turnover of either 2-50 large animals, 10-150 small animals or 50-1000 poultry birds per day
- Meat processing units with a turnover of 500kg per day or 150Metric ton per annum
- All food processing units including relabellers and repackers with more than 100kgs / 100 ltrs to 2 Metric tons a day.
- All grains. cereals and pulses milling units.
- Normal storage units with capacity up to 50,000 Metric tons.
- Cold storage units with up to 10,000 Metric tons
- Wholesalers with a turnover of up to 30 crores.
- Retailers, Distributors, Suppliers, and caterers with turnover up to 20 crores.
- Dhaba, Boarding houses serving food, banquet halls with food catering arrangements, Home-based canteens, Dabba Walas, Permanent or temporary stallholder, Food stalls arrangements in religious gatherings/fairs, etc with more than 12 lakh per annum.
- Fish, meat, poultry shop or a seller or any food vending establishment with more than 12 lakh turnover
- All food catering services in units under central government agencies like railways, air, and airport(excluding airports at Kolkata, Trichy, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Amritsar, Cochin, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Ahmedabad), seaport(excluding at Kandla, Tuticorin, Vishakapatnam, Kochin, Marmagao, Mumbai, Chennai, JNPT), defense, etc.
How to apply for State FSSAI License
First, download “Form B” and fill the details. The required documents change based on the type of business you own. So here, you can go through this Documents list for State Fssai license to understand all the forms and documents required for your business.
c) Central FSSAI License
This is issued by Central government and costs Rs.7500 per year.
Who needs Central FSSAI License
All Food operators with their offices in more than one state should take central FSSAI License for their Head office.
- All kinds of dairy units with more than 50,000 Litres per day or more than 2500 Metric tons of milk solids capacity per year.
- Vegetable oil processing units with a capacity of more than 2 metric tons per day.
- All slaughtering units with a turnover of either more than 50 large animals or 150 small animals or 1000 poultry birds per day
- Meat processing units with a turnover of more than 500kg per day or 150Metric ton per annum
- Food processing units including relabellers and repackers with more than 2 Metric tons a day except cereals, grains, and pulses units.
- All export-oriented units and all kinds of proprietary food companies.
- Importers importing food items( including food ingredients and additives for commercial use).
- Normal storage units with a capacity of more than 50,000 Metric tons.
- Cold storage units with capacity more than 10,000 Metric tons
- Controlled atmosphere storage units with more 1000 Metric tons capacity.
- Wholesalers with a turnover of more than 30 crores.
- Retailers, Distributors, Suppliers, and caterers with a turnover of more than 20 crores.
- All 5 star and above hotels.
- Restaurants with a turnover of more than 20 crores.
- Transporters having 100vehicles/wagons or with more than 20 crore turnover.
- Marketers with a turnover greater than 20 crores.
- All food catering services in units under a central government like Defense etc.
- Storages, wholesale, retailer, and distributors in central government establishment premises mentioned in the next two points.
- Food services at airports of Kolkata, Trichy, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Amritsar, Cochin, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Trivandrum, Ahmedabad.
- Food services at seaports of Kandla, Tuticorin, Vishakapatnam, Kochin, Marmagao, Mumbai, Chennai, JNPT.
How to apply for Central FSSAI License
Process of applying for FSSAI License
After filling out Form A/B depending on the type of business you need to head over to Food License Registration site.
The step by step process of applying for license is given below as a flowchart.
Once, you receive an acknowledgment ( with reference no.), if the application process is over and you can completely focus on running your business.
To learn more about running a profitable business, check out 29 common mistakes new restaurants make.